At the request of the USA Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), the Georgian National Film Centre has to select a film made in Georgia to be submitted for the 2018 Oscars nomination for Best Foreign language Film.
The Georgian National Film Centre announces a call for applications for films to participate in the selection process. The applications should be submitted before August 3, 2018.
The single film to be submitted for the 2018 Oscar nomination will be selected after being considered by the committee members and in accordance with the ballot results. The films that meet all the criteria will be presented and screened for the committee members before the end of August.
Following the decision made by Zurab Maghalashvili, the Director of the Georgian National Film Center, this year, the Commission in charge of selecting a Georgian nominee for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film will consider the possibility of submission of the films, which have not yet been screened in the official competition section of any international festival.
The following criteria for the film to be eligible remain unchanged:
- The film must have screened or be screened in a movie theater, for paid admission, for seven consecutive days, in the period beginning from October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018;
- The film must have been advertised in a form accepted in the film industry (a movie poster and a trailer);
- The film must have participated and been screened in the main competition section of minimum one international film festival; (or be selected to participate in the main competition section of minimum one international film festival and participate in it before September 30, 2018);
- The film cannot have its premiere outside of a theatrical run — screening a film for the first time on television or on the Internet, for example, renders the film ineligible;
- The film production team or the film crew must largely be made up of citizens and/or residents of Georgia;
Other terms and conditions:
- The filmmakers, in their application, must prove that their film meets, or will meet, all the above mentioned criteria and that it is eligible to participate in the film selection process;
- A copy of the film - DVD/BluRay or DCP – with English subtitles must be submitted together with the application. The applicant will receive the BluRay/DCP submitted by him/her after the film being considered. The DVD version of the film will be kept at the archives of the Georgian National Film Centre;
- The version of the film submitted should satisfy the above mentioned requirements and should correspond to the version commercially screened in a movie theater;
- The application should be accompanied by film reviews placed in either print or electronic media (articles, reviews, blogs), if applicable;
- In case the project does not meet the criterion of having been screened in a movie theater, for paid admission, for seven consecutive days, the applicant will have to prove that the film will be screened in a movie theater, for paid admission, for seven consecutive days, i.e. meet the above mentioned criterion, before September 30, 2018;
- In case the film has not yet been screened in the official competition section of any international festival, but has been selected to participate in the main competition section of any international film festival before September 30, 2018, the official letter of invitation should be submitted together with the application;
For additional information please contact Davit Vashadze – Head of International Relations Department of the Georgian National Film Centre. (D.Vashadze@gnfc.ge)
The Georgian National Film Centre wishes you success.